Monday, January 30, 2012

Why did the traffic camera flash at me when I stopped at the red light?

I was approaching a traffic light and stopped at the amber light. But when it turned red the traffic camera flashed at me. I don't understand why. Does anyone know?Why did the traffic camera flash at me when I stopped at the red light?
The camera needs inputs from two sensors to take your picture. One is the red light status (must be active). The second is your car must trip the sensor at the intersection boundary. The intersection boundary is defined as the nearest curb line of the intersecting street, not the stop bar (white line or pedestrian crosswalk). It's possible that one of the sensors has failed and is always showing one as active.



In order to get the ticket, the image must show that you have entered the intersection on the red signal, and the image must show the red signal itself, not some word on the image that says the light was red. It could be argued that the sensor was faulty and was always showing the signal as red when it was not. (That would be my defense).



If they have the sensor at the stop bar, then the red light camera's only function is to generate revenue from stop bar violations, not red light violations.



You should not get a ticket based upon your posting.
I wouldn't worry about it unless you receive a ticket in the mail, which you probably won't since the camera won't be able to see your plate from that angle. It is meant to shoot cars moving through the intersection so your tags will not be in the shot.

If you do receive a ticket, just explain it to the judge. But I doubt that'll happen.Why did the traffic camera flash at me when I stopped at the red light?
It could be: An automated thing where the camera flashes at the first car so that if an accident occurs at that intersection they know who was there (if it's a hit and run) or It could be a glitch.

Don't worry too much about it unless you get booked then you have a problem!
Maybe you stopped past the point you were supposed to stop, so you ended up stopping but didn't make a lawful stop.

EDIT: You might get ticketed for that since going over it on your initial stop is illegal. It all depends on what they want to do.Why did the traffic camera flash at me when I stopped at the red light?
Probably over the line. Stop a few feet before it.

No comments:

Post a Comment